My drawing was the first sketch I drew. Half of the face was mine own, and the other half was an android robot. The robot had a camera for eyes, glowing red like the Terminator, and all the facial features of the android side are bolted in; the nose is a metal plate, and the mouth is a speaker bolted in. The android side doesn’t have hair, and in the forehead, there is an open piece of the head revealing a circuit board and a processor. The human side of the face resembles mine (at least that’s what I was aiming for). The background is a layer of binary, like from the Matrix. The concept behind the drawing is that technology is getting very advanced, and it may take over the world someday. I think the drawing relates a bit to me because I like technology and I always think about how it is going to be in the future, both near and far.
For the drawing, I used two surreal techniques; transformation, and unnatural situation. The transformation was the part where my face was transforming into a robot. The unnatural situation was that me/robot were in a digital world with binary behind.
I think I did succeed in making a surreal work of art because I had surreal techniques in it. Although it was surreal, it did not turn out as well as I expected, because I made mistakes with the pen techniques.
For this project, an unknown artist from one of the previous grade 9 classes inspired me. Ms. Zaza showed us some examples, and I saw a drawing with half the face as something else, so I decided to make half my face a robot.
I used all three pen and ink techniques in my drawing. I think I didn’t use them very well because I ruined my drawing with hatching. I had to use cross-hatching to try and fix the shadows on my face. If I got another chance to do it, I would make much more hatching and cross-hatching on my face, so the whole skin is dark, and the shadows are darker. I think I was successful as using pen and ink as a medium, but I think I could have done better if I had practiced a bit more with the different techniques using the pen.
I did not face many challenges, but the only challenge lead to a mistake. I could not make the shadows properly on my face, so it ended up looking like the face of an old man. I attempted to overcome this challenge, and correct the mistake, by making the hatching into cross-hatching, but It did not work very well.
During this project, I learnt many things. I think what I learnt most about were the facial proportions. I improved on drawing faces a lot since before and after the unit. I also learnt about the different ways pen and ink can be used, which were hatching, cross-hatching, and stippling. My favorite one to use was the cross-hatching because I think it can be used in many different ways to make art, and seems easy to do as well. I don’t like stippling as much, because it takes a very long time, and I did not understand how to use it properly.
If I had the chance to do this project again, I would make a few changes to it. I would make my face darker by using hatching or cross-hatching and make the shadows even darker so they blend in. I would also do some shading on the robot side of the face, so that it would look curved and cylindrical. Another thing I would change would be to integrate more stippling to my drawing because I think it did not have enough. I would also change the binary so that it says something when translated.